This is who we are
History OF DPA
The Dallas Psychological Association (DPA) is comprised of licensed psychologists, licensed associates, graduate/postgraduate students in psychology-based programs, and affiliates with interests consonant with the purposes of the organization. The objectives of the organization are to forward understanding and acceptance, develop and promote ethical standards, and stimulate discussion of issues relevant to psychology and its practice as well as foster responsible community ties and encourage constructive relations with allied professions. The DPA is a source of information for its members and the public within the North Texas area for psychologists and their specialties.
History: Early in 1956, Dr. Joseph Siegel invited a small group of Dallas psychologists to meet with him to consider the possibility of forming a local professional psychological association. This group, acting as a steering committee, invited all psychologists in the Dallas area to a meeting at the Dallas Society of Crippled Children. At this meeting in May, 1956, the organization was formed and its present name adopted. During 1956 and early 1957, a steering committee, chaired by Dr. Siegel, planned preliminary by-laws, programs and other details necessary to the functioning of the organization. In the spring of 1957, the association elected its first slate of officers. Since October, 1957, the association has continued to hold regular monthly meetings (except during summer months) and to elect a new slate of officers each spring.
Relationship to other organizations: The Dallas Psychological Association is an independent local organization which is voluntarily affiliated with the Texas Psychological Association through its charter as a local area society. It recognizes and supports the standards of the American Psychological Association.